Brighton township, town 2 north, range 6 east, was separated from Green Oak
township in April, 1838. Brighton township is bordered on the north by Hartland township,
the west by Genoa twonship, the suth by Green Oak township and the east by Milford township
(Oakland County). The first meeting of the township was held at the home of Daniel Lane in
section 17. The first supervisor elected was Richard Lyons. The earliest land purchase,
southwest corner of section 12, was made by Elijah Marsh on October 20, 1832. Once a quiet
farming community Brighton township is today a bustling suburban community. To learn about
the early township settlers visit the
1880 History of Livingston County and read pages 218-232.
VILLAGE OF BRIGHTON
The first land purchase, in what was to become the village of Brighton, was made
in August 1832 by Maynard Maltby of New York. The first two settlers were Maynard and Almon
Maltby. The brothers erected a saw-mill on the stream known as Ore Creek. When the first
township election was held Maynard was elected Justice of the Peace. In the original village
plat of 1837 the first two lots were sold to Almon and Maynard Maltby. The first frame house
erected within the village was built on the lot bought by Almon.
In the early years, the village was known as Ore Creek.
In 1838 the village name was changed to Brighton. In 1867 Brighton became
an incorporated village. The area incorporated
started at the southwest corner of Brighton township. Its length
from north to south was 1 1/2 miles and its width from east to west was
1 mile. In 1928 the village of Brighton was
incorporated as the City of Brighton. Today that city encompasses
land that was once in Brighton, Genoa, and Green Oak townships. To learn
about early Brighton, its settlers, schools,
churches, organizations, businesses and village officers, visit
1880 History of Livingston County and read pages 201-217.
BRIGHTON TOWNSHIP CEMETERIES
- Bird Cemetery is a small cemetery located in Section 14 on Pleasant
Valley Road. It is about a mile north of the Pleasant Valley Cemetery.
- Kensington Baptist Church Cemetery is located in Section 35 on the northwest
corner of Kensington Road and Grand River. There is an exit from
I-96 at this corner. According to the marker just outside the cemetery,
the Kensington Baptist Church was formed in 1839 and razed in 1952.
- Lyon Cemetery is on private land in Section 22 on Van Amberg Road north of Spencer Road.
- Pleasant Valley Cemetery (also known as Beach Cemetery) is located in Section
22 on the west side of Pleasant Valley Road across from Beach Lake.
- Woodruff Cemetery is on private land in Section 34
on Pleasant Valley Road.
CITY OF BRIGHTON CEMETERIES
- Brighton Hills Memorial Gardens is on Flint Road, a short distance from downtown Brighton.
- Brighton Village Cemetery overlooks the Brighton millpond behind St Paul's
Episcopal Church in the downtown area.
- Calvary Cemetery is St Patrick's Catholic Church Cemetery and is on Brighton
Lake Road near the church.
- Fairview Cemetery is at 200 N First Street.
BRIGHTON TOWNSHIP CHURCHES
- Brighton Christian Church, 4309 Buno Road, Brighton, MI 48814
- Cornerstone Evangelical Presbyterian Church, 9455 Hilton Road, Brighton,
of Life Lutheran Church, 5051 Pleasant Valley Road, Brighton,
- Pleasant Valley Baptist Church, 12000 Larkins Road, Brighton, MI 48814
- St James African Methodist Episcopal Church, 4570 S Old US 23, Brighton,
- St Mary
Magdalen Catholic Church, 2201 S Old US-23, Brighton, MI 48814
of the Lakes Lutheran Church, 2101 Hacker Road, Brighton, MI 48814
CITY OF BRIGHTON CHURCHES
Presbyterian Church 300 E Grand River, Brighton, MI 48116
- First United
Methodist Church, 400 E Grand River, Brighton, MI 48116
- St George Evangelical Lutheran Church, 803 W Main Street, Brighton,
- Patrick's Catholic Church, 711 Rickett Road, Brighton, MI 48116
- St Paul's
Episcopal Church, 200 W St Paul Street, Brighton, MI 48116 (St
Paul's is the oldest church in Brighton. Visit their website to learn
of the church's rich history and commitment to the community.)
OTHER PLACES OF INTEREST
Michigan Historic Sites in Brighton Township
Michigan Historic Sites in City of Brighton