Green Oak township was erected by the Territorial Legislature on March 17,1835 and included the land that eventually became Brighton township. Green Oak is bounded on the north by Brighton township, on the west by Hamburg township, on the south Northfield township (Washtenaw county), and on the east by Lyon township (Oakland county). The Huron River enters the township in the northeast and flows to the southwest. Today 20% of Green Oak is public parkland, mostly on or near the river. Green Oak's most prominent citizen was probably Kinsley S. Bingham. Mr. Bingham was elected as governor in 1854 and again in 1856. The 1880 History of Livingston County, pages 322-333, contains tax lists, the first land owners of the township, elected officals from 1835-1879, schools, churches and family histories.