Tyrone Township lies in the northeast corner of Livingston county. Its neighbor
to the east is Rose Township (Oakland county); to the north, Fenton and Fenton Township
(Genesee county); to the west, Deerfield Township; and to the south, Hartland Township.
The earliest records of the township are found in the acts of the Legislature of 1835, when,
by an act approved by the Governor, March 26, 1835, it was attached to the town of Highland
(Oakland County) for purposes of township government. On March 11, 1837, it was made a part
of the town of Deerfield. Tyrone, extracted from Deerfield, was organized as a township on
March 6, 1838. For surveying purposes Tyrone is known as town 4 north, range 6 east. The first
road is said to have been from Tyrone to Highland in Oakland county. It was not surveyed but
marked with blazes on the trees. No villages ever grew up in Tyrone. A few dwellings and one
or two shops in Parshallville were in section 31 of Tyrone. The churches, the mill, the general
stores, the school, etc. of Parshallville were all in section 6 of Hartland. Tyrone was a farming
community depending on the villages in the neighboring towns for supplies.
TYRONE TOWNSHIP CEMETERIES
- Clough Hill Cemetery is located in section 8 on the east side of Linden Road at Turner
Road. When the 1880 Livingston County History book was published this cemetery was called
the Wolverton burying ground. It is partly enclosed with a falling down wrought iron
- Colwell Cemetery is located in section 4 on the south side of White Lake
Road approximately 1/2 mile west of US-23 and adjacent to the west end of Tyrone Memory
Gardens. This is a small cemetery surrounded by a fence.
Gardner Cemetery, originally called Tyrone Center Burying Ground, is located in
section 27 on the east side Hartland road between Center and Faussett roads. Gardner is
the largest of the township cemeteries.
- Tyrone Memory Gardens is a privately owned cemetery located in section 4 on the south
side of White Lake Road just west of US-23. It began burials in 1992 and serves Genesee
county as well as Livingston county.
Be sure to check the Parshallville Cemetery in Parshallville, Hartland township, and
St. Augustine Catholic Cemetery, Deerfield township. Some Tyrone residents are buried in both
of these cemeteries.
TYRONE TOWNSHIP CHURCHES
- Fenton Church of the Nazarene,
11075 Runyan Lake Road, Fenton, MI 48430 (corner of White Lake and Runyan Lake roads,
just east of US-23) 810-750-6544
- Linden Community Baptist Church, 11400 Linden Road, Fenton, MI 48430 (northeast corner of
Linden and Bennett Lake roads) 810-629-2444
- Tyrone Community Presbyterian Church, 9141 Hartland Road, Fenton, MI 48430 (west side of
road between Center and Foley roads) 810-750-0350
- Tyrone Covenant Presbyterian Church
10235 White Lake Road, Fenton, MI 38340 (on north side of road just west of US-23)
OTHER PLACES OF INTEREST
- Tyrone Township Hall, 10408 Center Road, Fenton, MI 48430 (on the south side of the road,
east of US-23 and before Hartland road) 810-629-8631
Michigan Historic Sites in Tyrone Township